Stone Cold Chillin

Click here to edit subtitle

SAFE HANDLING OF DRY ICE

DO NOT LEAVE DRY ICE UNATTENDED AROUND CHILDREN


HANDLING

Dry ice temperature is extremely cold at -109.3F or -78.5C. Always handle Dry Ice with care and wear protective cloth or leather gloves whenever touching it. an oven mitt or towel will work. If touched briefly it is harmless, but prolonged contact with the skin will freeze cells and cause injury similar to a burn.


STORAGE

Store Dry ice in an insulated container. The thicker the insulation, the slower it will sublimate. Do not store in a completely  airtight container. The sublimation of Dry Ice to Carbon Dioxide gas will cause any airtight container to expand or possibly explode. Keep proper air ventilation where ever Dry Ice is stored. Do not store Dry Ice in unventilated rooms, cellars, autos or boat holds. the sublimated Carbon Dioxide gas will sink to low areas and replace oxygenated air. this could cause suffocation if breathed exclusively. Do not store Dry Ice in a refrigerated freezer. The extremely cold temperature will cause your thermostat to turn off the freezer. It will keep everything frozen in the freezer but it will be used up at a faster rate. it is the perfect thing if your refrigerator breaks down in an emergency.


VENTILATION

Normal air is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and only 0.035% Carbon Dioxide. If the concentration of carbon Dioxide in the air rises above 0.05% Carbon Dioxide can become dangerous. Smaller concentrations can cause quicker breathing and headaches but is otherwise not harmful. If Dry Ice has been in a closed auto, room, or walk-in, for more than 10 minutes, open doors and allow adequate ventilation before entering. Leave area containing Dry Ice if you start to pant and breath quickly and develop a headache or your fingernails or lips start to turn blue. this is a sign that you have breathed in too much CO2 and not enough oxygen. Do not enter close storage areas that have stores Dry Ice before airing out completely.


BURN TREATMENT

Treat Dry Ice burns the same as a regular heat burn. See a doctor if the skin blisters or comes off. Otherwise if only red it will heal in time as any other burn. Apply antibiotic ointment to prevent infection and bandage only if the burned skin area needs to be protected.


COUNTER TOPS

Do not leave Dry Ice on a tiled or solid surface counter top ass the extreme cold could could crack it.


DISPOSAL

Unwrap and leave it at room temperature in a well-ventilated area. It will sublimate from a solid to a gas.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.